The current situation
Italy is the European country with the highest per capita consumption of bottled water and second in the world after Mexico.
206 litres of bottled water is the average per capita consumption in Italy each year, against a European average of 106 litres, equal to about 8 billion plastic bottles consumed.
30% of Italians did not trust drinking tap water in 2016, 7% less than ten years earlier, while on average 55% of European citizens said they drink tap water as it is supplied.
Triple the number of CAP users who claim to drink only, or almost only, tap water, to 70% of users in 2033.
NUMBER OF CAP USERS WHO CLAIM TO DRINK ONLY, OR ALMOST ONLY, TAP WATER
(CAP survey - Customer Satisfaction Survey)
How to reach the target
- Education and communication campaigns on the promotion of tap water.
- Promotion and enhancement of Water Houses.
- Implementation of Water Safety Plans.
- Extension and improvement of water controls and monitoring.
- Promotion of tap water analysis service at the request of users.
€ 64 million
ALLOCATED BY CAP TO SUPPORT THE IMPROVEMENT OF WATER QUALITY
- Measures to reduce the vulnerability of water systems through the implementation of Water Safety Plans and extension to the entire metropolitan city of Milan.
- Improvement of water controls and monitoring, starting with the increase of monitoring parameters and the number of probes present in wells.
- Implementation of the WSP on another 7 CWSs (Closed Water Systems) of the metropolitan city of Milan (Lainate, Melegnanese, Milano Est, Incirano Sud, Paderno Dugnano, Cinisello Balsamo and Bollatese).
- The number of Water Houses in the territory of 120 municipalities is 166, with a total volume of water supplied of about 27 million litres and a total plastic saving estimated at about 730 tonnes.
- 5,295 students involved in environmental education programmes aimed at spreading awareness and shared culture around the protection and respect of water resources.
- 150,000 euros allocated to 22 entities, including clubs and sports associations active in the Milan area to support a responsible sports culture for the 2018/2019 and 2019/2020 sports seasons.
- 265,000 euros, the total value of sponsorships and donations to raise awareness of conscious consumption of water resources.