The current situation
In the last century the demand for natural resources such as minerals, metals, fossil fuels and biomass has increased considerably. Between 1900 and 2015, growth of global demand increased 12-fold.
In 2018, Earth Overshoot Day, the date on which each year mankind begins to "owe" natural resources, was on the first day of August. It is necessary to reverse this trend by adopting circular economy strategies; in 2015 the global circularity index was 9.1%.
Close the circle: redefine the incoming and outgoing flows of CAP activities to recover as much material and energy as possible.
TONNES OF CO2 EQUIVALENT CORRESPONDING TO THE IMPACT OF CAP GROUP ACTIVITIES
How to reach the target
- Recycling material and energy through more efficient waste and resource management.
- Reduction of energy consumption through energy efficiency measures and improvement of operational efficiency.
- Implementation of certified projects to offset emissions.
- Integration of environmental criteria into procurement procedures (Green Public Procurement).
€ 38.1 million
ALLOCATED BY CAP, IN THE 2018-2022 PERIOD, TO REDUCE THE AMOUNT OF SLUDGE DISPOSED OF IN LANDFILLS IN FAVOUR OF ALTERNATIVE SYSTEMS THAT INVOLVE MATERIAL RECOVERY
- revamping the sludge line - anaerobic digesters;
- revamping the sludge line - dewatering;
- construction of its own sludge recovery infrastructure at Sesto San Giovanni.
- Progressive transformation of waste water treatment plants into plants for the recovery of substances reusable in industry and agriculture, such as bio-refineries.
- Over 72% of the waste produced has been recovered.
- 21.8% of water reused compared to the total volume of treated water.
- 4,564,839 kWh of energy thanks to its biogas plants at the sites of Bresso, Peschiera Borromeo, Robecco sul Naviglio and Sesto San Giovanni.