The current situation
Efforts should be made to reduce water losses and to prevent physical/chemical changes leading to deterioration in water quality.
Every minute, 6 million litres of water are dispersed in the Italian water network and the number of people who could use the volume of water dispersed in Italy is estimated at 10.4 million. In 2016 in Italy 67% of surface water and 33.5% of groundwater contained pesticides and in 2018 only 36% of rivers had a good ecological status in Lombardy.
Reduce the water introduced into the CAP network by over a third.
PERCENTAGE OF WATER DISPERSED IN THE NETWORK OUT OF THE TOTAL INTRODUCED
How to reach the target
- Increasing the quality and efficiency of the service through the identification and removal of leaks.
- Improved risk management for drinking water and waste water by implementing systems to reduce the vulnerability of water systems.
- Management of maintenance according to a preventive approach.
€ 75 million
ALLOCATED BY CAP, IN THE 2018-2022 PERIOD, TO CONTRIBUTE TO THE REDUCTION OF WATER LOSSES
- Implementation of remote control and remote management systems and activities for the district division of distribution networks.
- Adaptation of production plants with installation of soft starters and inverters.
€ 106 million
ALLOCATED BY CAP, IN THE 2018-2022 PERIOD, TO ENSURE THE QUALITY OF TREATED WATER
- Renovation of treatment plants.
- Increased treatment capacity of purifiers.
- Extraordinary maintenance on purifiers.
- Construction of new sewers to treatment plants.
- Energy efficiency work.
- Installation of flow meters and continuous waste water analysers in and out of the treatment plants.
- Over 2,000 km of water supply network monitored as part of the hidden leak detection campaign.
- Development of new collaborative projects for groundwater monitoring.
- Optimisation of waste water treatment processes and installation of online monitoring systems for the main pollutant parameters at the Assago, Canegrate, Cassano d'Adda, Pero, San Giuliano Est, Peschiera Borromeo, Sesto San Giovanni and Truccazzano plants.